As surprising as it is, Lucky Bamboo has no relation to the actual bamboo plant. Actually, fewer people know this than that Lucky bamboo is not very “lucky” for your pets because they are fairly toxic. This beautiful, swirling green plant is native to Africa and is an attractive addition to your living room. If treated right, it can grow over 5 feet indoors.
According to Chinese traditions, the number of stalks has different meanings:
- two – love
- three – happiness, wealth, and life
- five – balance & peace
- six – luck & wealth
- seven – health
- eight – growth
- nine – great luck
- twenty-one – powerful blessing
Luckily for many novice gardeners, Lucky Bamboo is almost impossible to kill if minimal care is applied.
The few things you need to pay attention to are the following:
- Keep it in partial light, because direct sunlight can scorch it. Rotating the plant from time to time is also suggested.
- Keep the soil moist, but well-drained. Lucky Bamboo can also live in a vase with an inch of standing water. Keep in mind, that if your tap water is too hard, you should switch to bottled water. You should change the water weekly, and add some liquid fertilizer once a month.
- Keep it in warmer temperatures (65 – 90 degrees Fahrenheit)
- fungal infections
You can easily propagate Lucky Bamboo using cuttings. You just need a sharp cutting tool to take a stem cutting of the main stalk of a plant. Put the cutting in a glass of water (a few inches of water is enough), and change the water weekly until the cutting develops roots in about 30 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to propagate lucky bamboo?
You can propagate Lucky Bamboo using cuttings. Cut off a stem from the main stalk, put it in water, and wait for about 30 days.
Is lucky bamboo toxic to cats?
Lucky Bamboo is highly toxic to pets, such as cats or dogs.
Why is my lucky bamboo turning yellow?
A number of reasons can lead to your lucky bamboo turning yellow: overwatering, too hard water, too much direct sunlight, or frequent temperature shifts.
How fast does lucky bamboo grow?
Lucky Bamboo plants can grow over 19 inches per month.